What causes blood in stool?

Hi Sir, My elder brother is facing problem of ejection of blood with stool for 3 months. We have tried homeopathic medicine but it did not work till now. Nowadays blood is going even he is not giving any pressure. I am scared. Can you please suggest me what to do? Regards, XXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be hemorrhoids. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. As you have mentioned your brother complains of blood in stool. This can be due to various reasons like: Rectal or anal hemorrhoids or anal fissures Diverticulosis Upper gastrointestinal bleeding Peptic ulcer disease Esophageal varices colorectal cancer Inflammatory bowel diseases like Ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease A black, tarry stool is likely an ulcer or other problem in the upper part of the digestive tract. Bright red blood or maroon-colored stools usually indicate a problem in the lower part of the digestive tract such as hemorrhoids or diverticulitis. Hemorrhoids or anal fissures may be associated with pain at the time of passing stool. Cause of the blood in stool should be found out. And as you have mentioned it is coming out without pressure, most probable site is in rectum. Colonoscopy, Per rectal examination and Ultrasound is advised. Since he is having problem for three months, there have been excessive loss of blood. Complete blood count should be done. I advise you to consult a local surgeon asap for proper clinical examination and investigation as you have wasted 3 months of time on medication without knowing the cause. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: What causes blood in stool? 2 hours later
Dear Sir, Yes, you are right sir. He lost lots of blood. Blood color is red and sometimes it comes separately from the stool and sometimes mixed with stool. There is little bit pain during stool in case there is ejection of blood, but not afterwards. Now he is in Raigarh, Chhattisgarh. He is telling there is a scarcity of good doctors there. I am staying in Bangalore. We thought we will check him up in Bangalore. Can you please suggest some place in Bangalore ? He is working there and will get a chance to come here around 1st week of April. Can you please suggest something (food or exercise) to keep him as normal as possible upto April. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: He needs to be operated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow -up. Now it is clear that he might be having internal hemorrhoid (piles) or anal fissure. He is passing blood for long time and medicines will not help in this condition. He needs to be operated by a surgeon. Any local surgeon, even in Raigarh will do the operation. At-least he can see a surgeon there for accessing the nature and extent of the disease. I will not advise him to wait till April, as he has been illness for three months already. I suggest him to take high fiber diet to prevent constipation and he can take syrup duphalac to soften his stool and less stress on passing stool. He should keep himself well hydrated. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: What causes blood in stool? 19 minutes later
Dear Sir, Thanks a lot for your quick reply. One thing I forgot to mention that no part from his body comes out from that path during stool but lot of blood comes almost in every alternative days. I am really scared, sir please help in whatever way you can. He told me he will not get any leave recently from company. Can you suggest some hospital or some doctor or your friend near Raigarh so that he can have a check up there ? What are the essential tests he should follow? What are the foods he should avoid? Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. It is not necessary that any part comes out during passing of stool in Internal Hemorrhoids or anal fissure. This is a very common problem in many people. There is no need to worry about it. I am stressing for quick treatment as he had long time with the problem. I am sorry to say that i have no contacts in Raigarh or banglore to suggest you a surgeon. You can contact XXXXXXX for their database or search for surgeon on this website according to regon. But any surgeon is expertise in this type of operation and he should give him a quick visit. Rest decision will be of treating doctor. He may operate according to the problem sooner or later. He should avoid spicy and junk food. Avoid alcohol and smoking, if any. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish him good health.