Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood and protein in my urine?

Oncologist
Question
MY NAME IS XXXXXXX BURNETTE AND I AM 65 YEARS OLD WITH VERY GOOD HEALTH. WHAT COULD CAUSE BLOOD AND PROTEIN IN MY URINE?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Depending on the amounts of blood and protein, there are many different causes. Most commonly, a recent urinary tract can cause these results; also undiagnosed diabetes can be a culprit. At this point it is reasonable to return to your doctor to perform a follow-up urinary analysis and possibly blood analysis. If blood and protein are again found in your urine, your doctor may refer you to a nephrologist for further specialized work up. I hope you found this helpful. I wish you continued good health in the new year. Sincerely, Dr. G