What causes blocked mucus plugs?

Psychiatrist
Question
i noticed a feeling , like a piece of popcorn stuck in the back of throat . i looked in my mouth and i found a boil like bump about the size of 1/2 of a pencil eraser.it is located right above my tonsil doesnt really look like it is on my tonsil i have had it for about 2 weeks , family doc referred me to an ent. He said it was not a tonsil stone ,that it was a gloged ,blocked mucus gland and that he would not relieve it by cutting it open or popping it. he said the body will get rid of it eventually.he did not give me a regiment or direction of treatment .i was not convinced with his diagnoses .it clearly looks like a pus bump. i at least thought he would do a biopsy. i would like to know what to do now.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It has to be incised Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Blocked mucus plugs are very common and they are frequently seen in many patients. They do resemble like a tonsillar stone but do not have the same gritty feel on touching it. The lesion does look like an abscess, but if it was infectious or an abscess you should have had lot of pain and fever by now. To some extent, yes you ENT doctor is right that body takes care of such lesions, but if it has persisted for 2 weeks and has continuous discomfort then there is nothing wrong in giving a cut and letting the duct drain out and then starting you on an antibiotic. Biopsy wont help as they are cystic and the moment there is a cut, the lesion will leak out. Its a very minor procedure and not much risk involved. Get a second clinical opinion or request your original doctor to go ahead with the drainage as the patients opinion matters the most. The doctor is supposed to give the choices and let the patient take the informed decision. Thats how the XXXXXXX care works. and Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.