What causes blocked hearing and reduced claring in hearing?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I am having hearing problems though very minute. I would like to put attention to it. In a conversation someone says "A biscuit and some food please". I hear "A biscuit will be good please". Initially, I thought these are happening probably because I am not giving proper attention. I started talking less and putting more attention to others. But still it is happening quite now and then, and wife keeps pointing that out. This is little embarrasing for my age. What should I do ?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be just a block Detailed Answer: hello XXXXXXX and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who has seen and treated thousands with complaints of hearing loss. At the offset let me assert you that in most of the cases the hearing loss or a block or a reduced clarity in hearing could be just due to a small problem like a blocked ear due to a common cold, or an impacted wax or just a simple lack of attention. In any case this is very common and affects all systems of our body. The only difference is that we feel a little let down when it happens to our ears! If you had vision problems you would not think much before wearing those spectacles right? So basically what I am trying to tell you is that do not feel shy or fear that you may have a hearing problem and just face it head on. I am sure it is much better to hear properly with help than hear something wrong and ask for, "beg your pardon" all the time. In fact if you do have hearing loss and you do not handle it at the beginning then it will definitely get worse. Additionally now with the amount of technology which goes into the hearing aids you will be pleasantly surprised at ease of using them. This of course pertains to you if you do have hearing loss but what I am trying to mention is that even if you do have hearing loss, there is still lots of hope so do not worry. Coming specifically to your case you need to do these: -get an audiometry testing done which includes pure tone, impedance and also speech discrimination tests and get back to me or any ENT with the report. These tests will firstly confirm if you definitely have a loss or not and also quantify the amount of hearing loss in any. -get a list of all the medications which you are taking to a doctor or me so that we can rule out and avoid any medication which affects hearing -reduce the stress levels and increase your concentration, in many cases a simple lack of concentration can make hearing difficult -do not listen to loud noise or music Hope this helps and if you have any other doubts you can always get back to me. regards Dr Sriram Nathan