What causes bleeding in an early pregnancy?

Hi, I'm 5 almost 6 weeks pregnant and I suddenly started bleeding while I was having an afternoon sleep. It just gushed out all of a sudden and then stopped. I don't have any cramping and there was no blood clots but there was a fair amount of blood. Blood was a redish brown and a touch watery. Is my baby ok???
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: You would need observation and a sonogram. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. At the outset, I would like to say that fresh bleeding in an early pregnancy usually indicates a sub-chorionic bleed and the amount of bleed is many-a-time small and usually subsides with no further alarm. The fact that you do not have any pain and the bleeding has completely stopped is a good sign. Please do not panic. In the present scenario, you should contact your consultant immediately and inform your condition. You would need observation for a couple of days with absolute bed rest, watch for any further bleeding or spotting, get serial serum beta-hCG titres to see if the pregnancy is progressing well and a pelvic/trans-vaginal sonogram to see the viability of the gestation. All said and done, further management would depend on the observations made. If the pregnancy is viable and there are no further bleeding episodes, observation with hormone supplementation if needed is the preferred choice. All strenuous activity including sexual intercourse is strictly forbidden until all is proclaimed to be well. Periodic sonograms are necessary to monitor the progress of the fetus. Stress in any form should be strictly avoided and as such, anxiety is avoided in every possible way. Try to take some relaxation techniques to help. Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.