What causes bleeding from soft lump in cheek due to usage of smokeless tobacco?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi Dr., I was a user of smokeless tobacco for approximately 8 years (nasty habit I formed as a member of the Ranger Regiment in the Army). I'm a student at the College of William and XXXXXXX now, and while studying for finals, I felt a small soft lump (if you could call it that) inside my cheek. I scratched it lightly and it began to bleed. The bleeding was mild, but should I be concerned. I have been under tremendous stress for the past 2 weeks, and I have had a cold for approximately 3 days.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could you pls send in a photo of your lump? Detailed Answer: Hi, Could you please send in a photo of your soft lump in the cheek? That could help me assist you better. The soft lump could be related to skin infection due to: - bad habits of keeping your hand in the cheek - shaving methods - diet with fatty or too sugary foods (junk foods) - stress you had for the past 2 weeks Do not worry. Keep your skin well cleaned and well moistened. Do not keep your hands in your cheek. Try to avoid scratching to prevent further bacterial infection. Looking forward to have the picture of your lump! Dr.Bardha