What causes bleeding from breast ducts ?

I noticed last night that some blood had appeared on my nightshirt, it looks like it has come from one of the little lumps on my areola not my nipple, what do you suggest i do?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

Let me provide you with some information and reassurance regarding what symptoms you are experiencing. First - make sure you have no cuts or scrapes anywhere on the body which could have left the spot you noticed on your shirt. On rare occasions there may be a slight degree of bleeding that occurs within the ducts of the breast. This can be due to some inflammation within the ducts which can happen from either pressure or slight injury - even from the pressure of a bra. The other possibility is infection of sebaceous glands of XXXXXXX You can watch if you see further discharge from the area in both the cases before you start running around your primary.

I must emphasize for you, however, that it is imperative to verify that you have had a screening mammogram within the past 12 months. We encourage it after 40 yrs of age. This would help us rule out the unlikely but still remotely possible consideration that a small growth in the breast could be triggering this. Again I think this is unlikely but still remains something we have to rule out.

As far as recommendations - I would advise that you observe closely for the time being. Do not squeeze or attempt to express any secretions from the breast as this could exacerbate any mild inflammation which could be going on. Next, I would recommend a nice warm hot fomentation 15 minutes for the next few days as this would help resolve inflammation as well. If for any reason you notice continued or worsening bleeding - please visit your doctor for an exam.

I hope I have provided you with an adequate and informative response. Should you have additional questions, I am available for your followups.

Dr. Galamaga