What causes bleeding during sex?

Hi I am bleeding during sex, I am 44 years old. This has been happening off and on over the last few months.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a Gynecologist at the earliest Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Bleeding during intercourse occurs due to :- * Injury of the vaginal wall due to tears following any cause, including vigorous intercourse. * An infection (parasitic or yeast), causing inflamed vaginal wall, which bleeds due to friction * Cervical erosions (soreness of uterine opening) * Small growths (non-cancerous) inside the uterus or arising from the inner lining of the uterus. * Thinning and dryness of vaginal wall following menopause. This condition- called Atrophic Vaginitis- is caused by reduced secretions which keep the vaginal wall lubricated. * In some cases, bleeding may point towards the possibility of cancer of cervix or vagina. Therefore, consult your gynecologist at the earliest, who will examine you, take a PAP smear, establish the exact cause of your problem and advise you the best course of action available. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal