What causes bleeding after emergency contraceptive pill intake?

Mar 2013
hi, i had a query. i had my periods on 21st of XXXXXXX 2014, and it stopped around 27th. then i had unprotected sex on 29th with by boyfriend and i immediately took an emergency contraceptive. but i got my periods again after two days. what does this indicate, please help.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: MOST PROBABLY IT WAS WITHDRAWAL BLEEDING. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. What you experienced two days after the intake of the ECP ( emergency contraceptive pill ) was not your period, but withdrawal bleeding. Most ECP users experience some kind of withdrawal bleeding after taking the pill. So do not worry. Also the ECP could prepone or postpone your next period by a week or more, so do not worry. To be doubly sure, take a pregnancy test 4 weeks after unprotected sex. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What causes bleeding after emergency contraceptive pill intake? 0 minute later
hi doc, but the withdrawal bleeding that you are referring to is like a period so i am confused. its been 3 days now since i am getting my withdrawal bleeding. is it normal, since i do have endometriosis and for a long time i had been in contraceptives suggested by my gynaec
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, the withdrawal bleeding might last for a few days, so do not worry. It can be like a proper period, or could be light spotting also.