What causes bleeding after a biopsy?

Mar 2013
Please find my biopsy report attached for your review WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NORMAL REPORT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I have gone through the biopsy report that has been attached . It is completely normal. The report indicates a benign, completely harmless, polyp that has been removed. There is no cause for concern or worry based on this report. Would you please add on to the previous query - has your bleeding now abated ? All the best. Looking forward to hearing from you. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes bleeding after a biopsy? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. Abraham: Yesterday I had a second drainage and 0.5 oz. of blood was collected. After the procedure, I continued to have spotting and pain. I am not sure if I am still bleeding but I think I am. My doctor also said that the continued bleeding that required a second drainage is rare, but he does not seem to know what caused it. What are your thoughts? What should I do next? I will have a full examination in 3 weeks including a pap smear. I also asked him about the difficulty in surgery removing the polyp. He told me that was because of the location of the polyp, rather than straight forward as the typical location, mine was on the left of the entrance of the uterus and it was difficult to maneuver the instrument. I await your reply.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for providing the requisite details. The report is normal. I understand that the polyp must be eccentric, not centrally placed, hence difficult to remove I can see no reason at all for the hematometra ( blood collection ) that has taken place twice already. As I said, please go for a complete internal evaluation, a Pap smear and a pelvic ultrasound scan after 2 weeks ( 3 weeks is fine ). Nothing else remains to be done. In the absence of any positive findings, I can only say that the reason could be postoperative blood collection that was not adequately drained the first time around. Apart from the workup mentioned, nothing else remains to be done. Take care.