Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes bladder squamous cell high grade intraepithelial lesion?

I have had gross hematuria, 8/13. I also have squamous cells indicative of high-grade intra-epithelial lesion, in my bladder, as of my last cystoscopy (which showed no growths). If my abnormal squamous cells on my cervix (complete hysterectomy, after) are also showing up in my bladder, is there likely to be just another continuation of what I went through with my cervix? I've had HPV for many years, and my doctor mentioned that my squamous cell problems are most likely are due to that. I had low-grade abnormal cells on my cervix and now am seeing abnormal cells, arguably high-grade, in my bladder. Under these conditions, I notice my urine a lot.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes it could come from the cervix. Detailed Answer: Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic! Yes I believe that your bladder squamous cell high grade intraepithelial lesion could be an extension from the cervix or maybe a primary bladder lesion. It is very hard to say for sure even with the most sophisticated tests available. Bladder squamous cell cancer is very rare and is usually secondary to long term infection, bladder stones, radiation effect from previous treatment or a parasite in the bladder (schistosomiasis) which is endemic in the Middle East and rare in other parts of the world. in the absence of the above mentioned risk factors there is a high likelihood that the squamous lesion is part of your cervical cancer. That being said treatment would entail close follow-up with your urologist for cystoscopy and urine cytology every 3-6 months to detect and treat new lesions if they ever recur inside your bladder. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA