What causes bladder control problem?

I have a very private matter I need to address. Yesterday I noticed that I had somehow urinated in my pants. But I dont even remember having a desperate urgency to go to the bathroom, and I have no IDEA how the hell this happened. But it has me extremely concerned and depressed. This has never, ever happened to me before in my entire life. I dont understand how I could urinate in my pants when I dont even remember it happening or feeling like I was losing control of my bladder! It has not happened at all today, but I am just greatly concerned about why this would happen to me. I definetely do not think I have incontinence, because that was the ONLY time that ever occured. I researched online on Google and started worrying about whether I might have a Urinary Tract Infection, but I think I ruled that out because I have no painful burning feeling when I urinate. Because of the nature of this problem, I am absolutely mortified and humilated to even bring it up to ANYONE. Could you try to help me figure out why this would happen, and if theres anything at all I can do to prevent it from ever happening again? LIke I said, that was the ONLY time I remember that ever happening to me in my entire life, and I dont have any trouble controling my bladder. Please get back to me. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...given below. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Although uncommon but it can still happen and I assure you that there is nothing to worry and there is no need to get depressed and worried about it. As you said correctly,the cause can be due to urinary tract infection,but it can also be due to recent severe stress and anxiety. Some people may have over active bladder and they produce large volumes of urine through out 24 hours and is possible in them to have accidentally urinated in pants. Since this episode happened for the first time,I don't advise any thing except wait and watch for a repeat occurrence. Get your urine tested for UTI and take anti biotic course,if it is there. Remain relaxed,as I think that it was just a freak incident. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What causes bladder control problem? 42 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor!! That made me feel a lot better. However, do you think this could occur again? And could it be a urinary tract infection even though I don't have any burning sensation when I go to the bathroom? I am really worried about it happening again because its the most mortifying thing a person could ever experience, especially when around a lot of people in close proximity like I am, being a college student. Also, how come I dont remember it happening?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
Hello, It may be a UTI and although burning in urine and increased frequency are the main symptoms,it could still be there but the chances are less. Whether such an episode re occurs or not,it is very difficult to say now. We have to wait and watch for this,however the chances look very less. Just relax and don't get tensed over this solitary episode. Enjoy your life and forget it. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What causes bladder control problem? 1 hour later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
Hello, You are most welcome to ask any query anytime. Thanks
Follow-up: What causes bladder control problem? 2 days later
Hello doctor, I have tried to follow your advice and not let what happened last Thursday bother me or get me down, but no matter how hard I try to take my mind off it, it keeps bothering me because I dont UNDERSTAND why this happened to me. Do you think I have an overactive bladder? I have paid close attention to it in all the days since and I havent had any problem at all. I simply cant understand how that episode could happen when I wasnt even aware of it at all. Is there anything I can do to assure that this NEVER happens to me again? Just the fact that it did happen is getting me really upset
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello, The symptoms of over active bladder are.. Difficult to hold urine after a sudden urge to urinate. Urge incontinence  Getting up 2-3 times in the night Going for urine more than 8-10 times a day. I presume you don't have any of these symptoms and hence I feel that you don't have overactive bladder. Since it was a freak incident,the best is to forget thinking about it since,nothing is to be done now.Even if you go to a doctor,he will simply turn you back and advise you to wait for any such repeat instances. In my opinion,there is no need to get over stressed about it and simply relax and forget it. If you get such instances repeatedly,then you would be needing medical examination and investigations. I hope,it should relax you. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What causes bladder control problem? 27 minutes later
I figured out that it was from my bladder getting too full from being Overhydrated. I googled it to find that out and diagnose the problem myself. So my only question now is, how many liquid drinks is too much?
Hello, Although water requirement of an individual depends upon the exercises levels,surrounding temperature etc,but on an average an intake of around 3 litres and passing around 1.5 litres of urine indicates an adequate intake of water. With adequate intake of fluids,you seldom feel thirsty. Any amount more than 4 litres is definitely large amount and would obviously necessitate to go to pee oftenly. Thanks