What causes black stools?

Question
I have black stools and I am not sure what that means.
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Black stool can be due to : (1) the use of pepto bismol or similar products

(2)the use of iron supplements

(3)bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract- stomach and upper small intestines

AS the blood passes through the intestines , it changes and gives the stool a black appearance. Bleeding can occur : (1)if there is a history of severe reflux or ulcer, (2)using medications such as aspirin/ibuprofen/aleve etc,
(3) anticoagulants such as warfarin
(4)bleeding disorder

If you are not using iron supplements or pepto bismol, then you should see your doctor to determine if a bleed is present
It can be minor in a lot of cases.

In addition to examination, you may need your blood count checked to see if it has fallen

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions