What causes black stool with stomach cramps?

General Surgeon
I am 18 yr old Boy. I m having persistent black stool for most part of the past 2 months and it has just got aggravated in the last 3 days. I m having black loose stools and stomach cramps. It pains a lot more when i go for jogging or play football. I have taken sucralfate for the last 2 weeks(on a doctor's prescription) but i dont see improvement.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bleeding needs to be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If it is a black like a tar stool, most probable reason of it is bleeding from peptic ulcer in the stomach or duodenum. Other source of bleeding like small intestine malformation (enlarged vessel in the intestine wall) is also possible. If the bleeding is massive, stool gets loose. You should also have weakness, pale skin, shivers, sweating. Nausea and vomiting can appear. Black stool can be also caused by iron supplements intake. If your stool is black, but not like a tar, your symptoms may be caused by some infection. If the bleeding sounds possible please do not wait any longer. Gastroscopy is strongly advisable. If your heart rate is higher than 100, please visit ER. If bleeding symptoms does not fit to yours, stool test and stool culture test should be done. Antibiotics (Rifaximine or Ciprofloxacine with Metronidazole) should be prescribed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes black stool with stomach cramps? 3 minutes later
Could it be the case of Amoebiasis? I have a feeling that i myt be having it.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Yes, such symptoms ca appear due to Amoebiasis as well. Stool tests should diagnose it. What are the food related restrictions that i must follow? And What should be my next step? (Even now, my stomach is cramped and paining like hell) Regards.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, in both cases (bleedin or Amoebiasis) the case is really serious. No diet will help. You need proper diagnostics and treatment. otherwise both conditions are life threatening. Like I have mentioned before: - if the stool is like a tar (deep black) go for gastroscopy as soon as possible - otherwise please have stool tests done right away, parasites needs to be treated with anti-parasites medicines Please do not wait any longer. Regards.