What causes black spots in sputum ?

Question
Hey guys I have had problem this morning when I got up I had a bad taste in my mouth and when I spit there little black spots in my spit. It clear up within 15mins of spitting. And I use to smoke about 7 years ago.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

Commonly the black spots in spit are due to the carbon particles and this is due to the active or passive smoking. This is common in smokers & when we breath in polluted air. However normally there is no change in the color of the sputum after spitting.

I will suggest getting a microscopic examination of the sputum done to find out the cause of these black spots. I also suggest getting a chest X-ray done to rule out any lung cause like any infection, inflammation or any benign or malignant growth of the lung.

Sputum examination and chest x-ray will also clarify whether there is any hemoptysis which is the expectoration (coughing up) of blood or of blood-stained sputum from the bronchi, larynx, trachea, or lungs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.