What causes bilateral swelling in my submandibular glands?

Hello. for 1.5 years I have been SUFFERING daily from bilateral swelling in my submandibular glands which come and go but always occurs several times a day and episodes can last all day long or a few hours at a time. My right ear throbs and can get very painful with it and the right gland seems to get larger than the left side. I feel my right ear is "full" and I know I do not hear 100% out of it. I feel as if someone is strangling me with a rope or cord and when it gets severe, I have an extremely difficult time swallowing things. I have seen 2 family MDs and an ENT specialist. I had a CT scan of the neck and it was normal. I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux but there has not been one prescription that has helped me even one bit (tried all but Dexilant which is not covered and very expensive). This is interfering with my life and I miss many events and am in constant discomfort. Can you suggest things the next Dr can explore? I am going to see a GI dr next. Should I see an Internist? Also, I work in the dental research profession and seem to have plenty of saliva. I am tested regularly at our clinic. No apparent swelling in the floor of the mouth. Also, 1.5 years ago I have a chin implant and face lift. I have had botox and dermal fillers. Two plastic surgeons have said there is no correlation but it make me wonder. Otherwise, healthy 49 yr old female, 112 lbs. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later
Brief Answer: consider Sialolithiasis Detailed Answer: Hello, I am sorry about your current health status, I have read your query diligently. I would consider Sialolithiasis as a possibility here. I understand that you have seen 2 family MDs and an ENT specialist. There may be chances of this being missed, and in my opinion, you must consult a second ENT specialist to confirm the same. Firstly, you need to get an ultrasound study of both the submandibular glands high frequency linear transducer. Further Sialo MRI can be done to confirm the same. CT is less sensitive than MRI in this situation. It seems like the problems are inter-related - the ear problem and the submandibular gland problem. A further thorough ENT evaluation seems like a must here. I do not think it is related to the acid reflux. Also, we cannot for sure say that there is 100% no co-relation between the chin implant and your current issues. This I say, because these structures are anatomically so closely related that they can be damage to adjacent structures. I have made a sincere attempt to help you based on my clinical experience. I would be glad to discuss further on this. Regards,
Follow-up: What causes bilateral swelling in my submandibular glands? 3 days later
Thank you so much for the thorough response. I will schedule a re-review of my case with another ENT, and this sounds more likely to me too! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you too Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thank you too. Please go ahead with the re-review and discuss the possibility. Get well soon. Take care!