What causes bilateral calf pain,painful ambulation and positive pedal pulses?
User rating for this question
I have a seven year old with c/o bilateral calf pain, ambulation is painful, positive pedal pulses with questionable positive homans sign...could this be growing pains or is a visit to the ER necessary? I live an hour and a half from the nearest childrens hospital.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Calf pain Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for your question. I am sorry your son is experiencing pain. The positive pedal pulses are very reassuring. I wouldn't make much of the questionable Homans sign. This is not a reliable test in general, and certainly when the response is questionable. The most likely diagnosis here would be growing pains, as you stated. If this is the case, I would expect your son to be able top ambulate soon, perhaps later today. Ambulation should be encouraged. I do not believe a visit to the ER in warranted. However, if he refuses to ambulate today, then again tomorrow, I recommend consulting with your doctor. Growing, though sometimes severe, should certainly not last that long.
Follow-up: What causes bilateral calf pain,painful ambulation and positive pedal pulses? 15 minutes later
may i continue motrin for the discomfort today or should I wait to see if the pain resolves itself. With the autism/sensory issues pain is almost always pronounced. Just wondering if something is better than nothing at this point.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Motrin Detailed Answer: The motrin every 6 hours if needed is fine. I know it feels like there should be something else to do. But, as you know, often observation is called for. Hang in there.
People also viewed
- If my normal temperature is 965 when do i have a fever
- I have being mucusing for a week and now it has turned pink
- What causes swelling in calf
- Is fresh orange juice good for constipation for children
- Causes of pedal edema bilateral
- What causes calf cramps
- Mercilon stop period
- Drinking beer loose motion
- Microgynon 8 hours late in taking microgynon
- Fever gums hurt
- What causes bilateral calf painpainful ambulation and positive pedal pulses
- What causes tinitus with pulsing sensation in calfs
- Medicine to delay menstruation periods
- Meth and watery stool that burns
- Meth causing eye mucus discharge