Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes bed wetting?

I am a 40 year old woman, mother of 2. I would consume 2 liters of water a day, and a healthly diet. I ave had a full medical in recent weeks and all came back fine. Over the last few years I have wet the bed about 3/4 times. At all times I am dreaming I am on a toilet and wake up half way through to find I have wet the bed. It has happend me twice now in the last six months and Im getting worried. Not at any stage was alcohol involved. I have a little stress in my life but I would have thought no more than the next person.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Too early to be bothered, family dr review Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand how disturbing it could be to wet the bed at this age. It would be worth noting if you have been diabetic before, had any chronic urinary tract infection, urine retaining problems (neurogenic bladder), spinal trauma. If we are rest assured you have never had any these, you really need not worry that much. It is important exclude any wetting episode that has occurred while you are conscious. It is not very rare to experience this, even in adults. However, it becomes so disturbing if it becomes so frequent. Knowing or trying to identify any particular circumstance under which this has been occurring (stress, change of environment etc) could help guide in identifying the triggering factor for this. I honestly think if this has never occurred while you are conscious, and especially if you have no bladder issues like infections or weakness, you need not be bothered. An in depth evaluation however of the circumstances under which you do experience such symptoms is still very important. I suggest you consult your family physician/ urologist for a proper clinical review and discussion. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain