What causes bad flatulence, burping, excessive gurgling in stomach and bloating inspite of using prilosec?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. I have been having stomach problems for a about 6 weeks. The first week I just kind of felt like an upset stomach. Then by the end of week I started having bad flatulence and some burping and also feeling bloated with some burping. I was also having excessive gurgling in stomach.. I went to doctor and was prescribed prilosec for acid in stomach. It seems like the gas has decreased but I still have the gurgling most of the day. It appers that I am having pretty normal bowel movements maybe a little more than usual. I also have lost about 5 pounds. Do you have any ideas on what this could be? I forgot to add that two days ago I also got a rash on my arm and on my thigh. the rash is still there and pretty much unexplained.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do few dietary changes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are related to gas and indigestion. This is not related to the rash on your arm and thigh. The gas and bloating can be due to dietary changes; anxiety stress or eating hurriedly. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms: 1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages. 2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person. 3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms. 4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air. 5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow. 6. Avoid drinking through a straw. 7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy. 8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products. 9. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air. Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include 1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes. 2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts. 3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya. The treatment in severe cases, where belching is persistent would be with prescription medications (Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor ) which can be provided by your primary care provider. In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief. 1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced. 2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily. 3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas. The rash can be taken care of with a 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL