Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes bad breath from my mouth while using Listerine mouth wash?

I get bad breath from my mouth. I brush twice in morning and at night. I also use Listerine to mouth wash three times a week. I even got scaling done. what should I do.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be periodontitis Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. It is very nice to know that you are taking adequate care from your side by brushing,flossing and also gargling with mouthwashes,thus taking complete care. Now since bad breath persists even after preventive measures.Therefore to suggest you, the cause for bad breath in your case I would request for few details from your side.please answer them. 1.Are you taking any medication for any problem,if so please mention? 2.Please mention in case you have any habits? 3.Do you feel or had ever visited your ENT specialist regarding sinusitis or tonsillitis or recurrent cough? 4.Have you encountered any acid reflux in your mouth or acidity? 5.When did you see your dentist last? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes bad breath from my mouth while using Listerine mouth wash? 11 minutes later
1 I am not taking any medication. 2 I don't have any habits like smoking or drinking and I am pure vegetarian 3. I have visited ent for sinus but about 8 months back. 4 no 5. on Friday I got scaling done
Brief Answer: Indicates towards ENT problem. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. As per the given details it appears that your halitosis(bad breath) problem is not due to dental causes. I would also like to know do you have bleeding gums?because as far as bad breath problem is concerned,it will start only after gum problems. One more thing to be noted here is that please wait for two weeks as you have recently got scaling done.If the halitosis was due to gum problem it should minimize. If you do not find any changes in the following days please seek your ENT specialist help in this regard as it indicates towards chronic sinus infection. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.