What causes back pain when lifting heavy objects?

4 days ago i was pulling on a really heavy piece of furniture and i heard something pop in my middle back and i felt something move,then i had severe pain.i lay flat on my back until pain passed then got up and got ice pack and lay on it.but i am still having bad pain in the middle of my back relieved only by heating pad. what did i injure
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Acute Muscle Strain. Pain killers, Reduce activity Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Back pain is due to acute muscle or ligament strain caused by heavy weight lifting. In addition you may lifted the heavy furniture in poor posture. It is usual to have back pain for a week or 10 days after acute muscle strain. Please follow these instructions 1. Usually we advise bed rest for initial one or two days after acute back strain. Now it is 4 days, thus bed rest is not needed. Any more than a day or two of bed rest can actually make the pain worse and may reduce muscle tone and flexibility. 2. Take some pain killers like Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Pain-relieving creams may be helpful for muscle aches. 3. Avoid activities that put stress on your back. 4. Physiotherapist consultation- if the pain persists even after 10 days or more. 5. Return to your regular activities that put strain on back slowly. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What causes back pain when lifting heavy objects? 10 hours later
so you don't think i slipped a disc or pulled a vertabrae out of joint
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 6 hours later
Brief Answer: I do not think it as slipped disc or pulled verter Detailed Answer: Hello, I do not think so. Because Slipped disc or pulled vertebra associated back pain will radiate into the regions served by affected nerve roots that are irritated or impinged by the herniated material. Often, you may have undefined pains in the thighs, knees, or feet if you have slipped disc. Other symptoms may include sensory changes such as numbness, tingling, muscular weakness, paralysis, paresthesia, and affection of reflexes. You do not have any of the above symptoms like sensory changes or radiating pain. Thus i suspect it to be a Acute muscle strain. Please follow the measures i mentioned. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.