What causes back pain below the breast with cough?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a bit of back pain on right below my right breast at which my MD said that was my neck area. Also cough a bit.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be muscular pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The back pain just below the level of right breast is likely to be a muscular pain due to a bad posture. This is a result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation) that aggravate the pain. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time. Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications like muscle relaxants and local analgesic gels and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well in bringing a long term relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL