What causes appetite loss with lightheadedness and depression?

I so hope someone can give me an idea of what this might be: I am so tired, not hungry, lightheaded, have a low mood. Psychologically I just want to withdraw and everything feels like effort. I have had anemia before and just had a laparoscopy two weeks ago. Can any of this have a bearing on my condition?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibilities : Depression or thyroid problem. Detailed Answer: Hi Irmi, Thanks for your query. I wish that you had provided information in more details. However, the sketchy information suggests that you are apparently suffering from either, mental depression; or, thyroid problem (under-active thyroid glands). Recurrence of anemia, if any, adds to your problems. Every individual passes through a depressive phase at some stage in one's life time. It is a transient phase, which is completely curable. A recent laparoscopy is construed as a stress, which tends to aggravate depression. I would therefore recommend that you first get your Thyroid function test done. If it is suggestive of an under-active thyroids, a regular thyroid hormone replacement therapy will cure your problems. But if the test rules out a thyroid problem, a long-term course of a combination of anti-depressants and mood-elevating drugs will take care of your problems. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and take the advised course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal