What causes an itching burning senation on chest under the ribcage?

I have an itching feeling on the inside of my left chest area. Itching does not seem to be on the surface of the skin, but rather, on the inside of the rib cage. I never have this feeling on the right side, just the left. Also, it seems to be most noticeable when sitting. The feeling comes and goes, and I can remember having this feeling as long as 6 months ago. Sometimes, the itch feels almost like a burn. Overall, it's not very painful, just annoying. What could be the cause? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Paraesthesias skin Detailed Answer: Hi see what you are having are basically paraesthesias of the affected region. Now this occurs due to involvement of the sensory nerves of a given area of the skin. First of all, although this condition is irritating for the patient but it is essentially a harmless skin condition. This type of altered sensations in the skin can occur due to any injury to the nerve fibres or a simple compression of the nerve in its path anywhere. Hope you have not had any injury or cut in the chest region. Even if there is on history of any trauma, still sometimes due to nerve compression at any given point ,this type of symptoms can develop. In other words, there can be symptoms of nerve weakness. I would recommend you to take nerve tonics like vitamin b 12 tablets once a day for atleast two month's. I am sure it will help in improving the symptoms. Also these type of symptoms have a natural course where there decrease by themselves in sometime as the nerve tends to regenerate. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes an itching burning senation on chest under the ribcage? 12 minutes later
Thanks for the reply! So even though the itching seems to root from the inside rib cage, not the surface of the skin, you believe it is still a skin condition? I can pull/scratch at the surface of the affected area but it doesnt make a difference, the itching is deeper below the surface, almost as if its on the other side of the rib. Its located above and to the left of my heart, about 4 inches from my armpit. Would you still reccomend vitamin B12? Or does this change your thoughts. I should also mention that there is no irritation in the muscle tissue in this area
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Paresthesia Detailed Answer: Hi again See the kind of sensations that you complain about are basically related to the nerves. It has nothing to do with the muscles or the ribs. No other disease presents with such an itchy sensation. I am sure that the nerve supplements will help you. But if even one month of therapy, you do not feel much of a difference, then you can see a neurologist. I don't think it's essential right now. But if in case the symptoms persist, then we can plan one. Dr Geetika Paul