What causes an enlarged spleen inspite of no mono or malaria?

Nephrologist
Question
What causes an enlarged spleen when you haven't got mono or malaria and your bloods are all normal?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Splenomegaly Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The most common non infective cause for splenomegaly is cirrhosis of liver with portal hypertension especially seen in individual who are alcoholic or with fatty liver. The other non infective causes are metabolic disorders like Amyloidosis, Gauchers disease, niemann pick disease etc. Apart from Malaria and mono the other infection very commonly causing splenomegaly is typhois, brucellosis and tuberculosis. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish you good health Regards

Follow-up: What causes an enlarged spleen inspite of no mono or malaria? 15 hours later
thank you. a few more questions 1.) would signs of these things show up in a full blood panel? 2.) if bloods were all normal what could cause it? 3.) can foreign body granulomas in the abdomen cause splenomegaly? thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for getting back 1. Signs of the causes mentioned by me would not have shown up on a routine blood panel 2. Amyloidosis, Gauchers disease, niemann pick disease are causes which can cause splenomegaly with blood being normal 3. Foreign body granulomas can cause splenomegaly and lymphadenopathy as well I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards