What causes allergic reaction after having egg?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have never been through an allergic reaction before as far as i remember, today, after having lunch that had nuts and also eggplants and eggs as part of the dishes, after coming home within 3 hours, i suddenly started to feel stomach ache followed by my eyes, back, sole of my right foot and then the rest of my body started to itch! i also noticed when i breathed deeply i ended coughing and when i breathed out i had a slight wheezing sound in my chest, i started getting heart palptations for a few minutes, my face felt hot, my ears started throbbing and also became red and hot and then my heart and coughing and wheezing went back to normal. now my eye lid is slightly feeling heavy and my body is still a bit itchy. My question is is it normal to have an allergic reaction at this age (20 years old)?? specially that i have been eating eggs, almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, milk and eggplants and never got that before. However the eggplants aren't very common in my diet.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome ot XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: If this was food allergy and I am not sure it was then you would have rare form of food allergy. First, most food allergies start in childhood, but they can develop at any time in a person's life. Also, less common,but possible, some adults develop an allergy to a food they could once eat with no problem. Second, it is also possible that allergy reaction develop even several hours after eating,but most common it is seen within first 30 minutes. Knowing all this, I think you should do food allergy testing,but also consider some other possible alergenes as cause of your reaction such as insect bite, plant,home alergenes or inhalatory alergenes. If you had breathing difficulties as you said,then I would recommend to have some antihistaminic in your pocket just in case. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards