What causes acute severe dizziness?

in the last two days when I get up from bed I become extremely dizzy to the point I cannot walk
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX You have acute severe dizziness. It is a matter of concern and should be dealt with in an emergency department. The two common causes of acute severe dizziness are vestibular neuritis (maybe of viral origin) and a small stroke in the posterior fossa. Though there can be other causes, but these two causes need to be ruled out. Vestibular neuritis may have other neurological symptoms like foca numbness and weakness, etc. While small strokes may not have other symptoms expecially in posterior fossa. Thus it is better to be evaluated in emergency. Let me know if I can assist you further.