What causes acute pain over the hip bone?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi there I am experiencing a very sharp acute pain which feels like it is over my left hip bone. It comes in waves and has been happening intermittently for about 2 months. It almost feels like a type of sciatic pain but only I my hip.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve compression or irritation Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Pain you have over hip most likely to be due to nerve compression or irritation. It could be due to piriformis muscle compressing the sciatic nerve, such as while sitting on a car seat or running. Pain may also be triggered while climbing stairs, applying firm pressure directly over the piriformis muscle, or sitting for long periods of time. Because symptoms can be similar in other conditions, radiologic tests such as MRIs may be required to rule out other causes of sciatic nerve compression, such as a herniated disc. Consult a physical therapist, who can suggest a program of exercises and stretches to help reduce sciatic nerve compression.Try to avoid positions that trigger pain. Rest, ice, and heat may help relieve symptoms. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care