What causes acute pain in the jaw?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I actually went to the doctor and he said it must be arthritis or gout, didn't even touch it? Was very disappointed in the office visit. I also have been having major pain in my jaw where I can hardly open my mouth or eat.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to inflammation of the joint. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The acute pain in the jaw like you are having at your age is most commonly found due to an inflammation of the T-m joint. This can happen due to arthritis or gout. You need to get your serum uric acid levels evaluated and take mild anti inflammatory pain killers like ibuprofen after meals. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will be helpful. Avoid taking alcohol and non vegetarian food. Taking citrus fruits will help in reducing the symptoms. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL