What causes abscess tooth after having protected sex and is it a sign of syphilis?

I have a friend whom I had sex with which was protected. He has advised me he was diagnosed with syphilis One month after we were together. When we were together he had got tested a couple days before and was negative for syphilis. About I week after I had an abscessed tooth while I was overseas. I had a Zithromax z-pack with me which I took for the abscess tooth. That was a month ago. Now my tooth has acted up again and I am taking a seven day course of amoxicillin which my dentist prescribed. I have a root canal scheduled in five days. Am I infected? Should I worry? I have no symptoms or canchres.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I don't think you are infected, but get tested sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I should rightfully start by saying that syphilis has 4 stages, which almost always occur in sequence. The first stage is characterized by the presentation of a single chancre sore (skin ulceration), followed by the appearance of a rash which is diffuse and involves the palms and soles. It then move into a mostly asymptomatic latent phase which can last from a few months to several years, and then the most severe tertiary stage. However, syphilis is known to present with numerous atypical symptoms, out of which dental ulcers, infections, etc; have also been reported. I chose to share that information with you, solely to keep you well informed sir. Now coming to your query, it is difficult to say whether your partner was accurately diagnosed not to have syphilis when you two were together or whether he was in the latent phase which can at times report a false-negative result. Although based on the information provided I feel you do not have the infection, but it is still best to get yourself tested a few times with short intervals in between just to make sure the infection is completely ruled out. I would also like to advise you to always practice safe protected sex sir, so you can live a long and healthy life. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.