What causes abnormal period and erratic spotting?

Mar 2013
I have a regular 28 day cycle, with heavy bleeding and heavy cramping for 3-4 days. CD1 of my current cycle has historically started after CD28 from the previous cycle. The ovulation tracker is use estimated my window to be between CD10-CD17. I did have unprotected sex with my fiancé on CDs 14-15. Then my period "started" on CD28/new CD1, which I know can be normal. Here's what is concerning me. Aside from the noticeably lighter cramping, I typically experience very painful period cramps; there was little to no flow the first day, which is usually my heaviest. CD2, flow didn't increase but instead, there was dark mucus accompanied by a very, very light flow. By the morning of CD3 it had stopped and was turned very light brown spotting. On the night of CDs 3-4, we had sex again. On the morning of CD4 I started bleeding again but with the blood being old brown blood, I'm assuming left over from the shortened cycle. However, this lasted about a day and a half. By midday of CD5 I was no longer spotting at all but I did notice some clear/white discharge in the evening. Then on CD6 I noticed clear, kind of stretchy mucus but with hints of "new" blood, only after I wiped. My doc ordered an HCG test & it returned an HCG of 1.2mIU. All day today, CD7, I've had clear to slightly blood tinged, stringy discharge. This is not typical. I've also had a very dull pain in my lower abdomen. Nothing like period cramping, it's hard to explain. I do not have an STD, PCOS and am not overweight. My thyroid has been tested and is in the normal ranges. I am not on BC. Is it possible I am pregnant & have just tested too early or, is this a sign of something more malignant?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As you have had regular clockwork cycles, no , you have not tested too early, particularly as you did not use HPT, but B HCG blood estimations, which are quite sensitive and reliable. I think pregnancy can be reliably excluded in this case. Basically you have had an abnormal period and erratic spotting, this can happen once in a while, being completely harmless. Stress, anxiety, erratic sleeping or eating habits, even a recent flu or minor illness can cause this. Have your hormones been recently measured - TSH, LH, FSH, DHEAS, free testosterone ? THis would conclusively rule out PCOS or hypothyroidism. Also, a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan should be done. Sometimes, transient hormonal imbalances can lead to endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the uterine lining , and then it fails to shed off properly, leading to spotting and a scant period ). As there is no itching, pain or odour, the discharge would be normal, and not infectious in nature. I would ask you to wait and watch, as once in a while, your cycle could be replaced by a spotting and scant bleeding. IF the bleeding / spotting persists, or the same pattern recurs next month, please go for a pelvic scan and repeat blood work if not recent. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.