Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes abdomincal discomfort blood in urine after a polypectomy?

On Nov. 20th I had a polyp removed from my bladder and my prostate scraped. I am still experiencing discomfort in my abdominal area and am passing blood when I urinate -sometimes quite visible. Urges to urinate are hourly and somewhat urgent. I need a "second" opinion on whether or not this is normal for this kind of surgery. Also, what might be causing it and what can I do to prevent it? How long does surgery like this take to heal? Doctor said something about "low grade" cancer cells. Should I be very worried about this?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: UTI, Malignancy Detailed Answer: Good Day XXXX! Thank you for asking. My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to answer your query for your post surgical complaints of polypectomy. XXXX First the age of 83 has its geriatric limitations and process of healing get delayed in such advanced age and superseded by diabetes infection further slows down the healing process.So thats why in your case it can not be assessed until and unless examined and worked up. Now the complains of frequency and urgency and blood in urine are all the indications of urinary tract infections which are inevitable in the interventinal procedures of Genitourinary system like this polypectomy. Now the report of biopsy indicating the malignancy of low grade bladder carcinoma makes the bleeding also a reason as painless hematurias are always malignancies. So my advice first seek help for UTI, quinolone antibiotics, antispasmodics, minimal interventions, intrabladder hyaluronic acids and cranberry juices with a hygiene rehab would help. Then the oncologist help to sort out the malignancy issue and advise a plan for that but i am sure it will be a conservative one what ever it is as age of 83 is not suitable for aggressive approaches, Chemo and radio will suffice. Kindly seek The Urologist help to help you further with your management.If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise i request you to kindly close the discussion and rate the asnwer as per your experience. Regards Dr. S Khan