Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes abdominal pain when suffering from an enlarged prostate?

Dear Sir, I am getting stomuch occationally pain on right side of obdomin for the past 2-3 years. Recently I had gone for Ultra sound scanning. The report says that " Prostate enlarged in size,measuring 36x39x37 mm with an estimated prostatic volume of 27.9ml as seen on per obdominal examination.The prostate capsule appears intact.No focal lesion seen" ---Remining things are given as normal. What is the effect of this.. ? How it can be cured ? What precautions I need to take.? Pls advise me ..
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Though you have Prostate, enlarged in size, in most cases, an enlarged prostate does not cause any damage or complications. However, treatment is needed or not, depends how bothersome the symptoms are. Usually, symptoms of enlarged prostate include weak urine stream, Hesitancy starting urine stream, Incomplete voiding sensation, Urinary Retention. But, you have not mentioned any of these symptoms but told about right sided abdominal pain for the past 2-3 years. I suspect that there might be something else wrong like a problem of ulcer etc. I also suggest to undergo an endoscopy and also a consultation with Gastroenterologist. Moreover, you need a followup visit with Urologist, to perform physical exam, digital rectal exam and depending on findings further management plan. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.