What causes abdominal discomfort,constipation and metallic taste in mouth?

I began running to lose weight a few months ago. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months from exercise and a low 1500 calorie a day diet. I became constipated and am experiencing other symptoms. I have a discomfort in my transverse colon (across my upper abdomen when my bowels are moving. It feels like I am moving something hard through my colon and It causes me to feel weak and tired when I feel this happens. When I go to the bathroom I do feel better. There is no blood or mucous. My stool is normal color but heavy. I went to my doctor and explained I also have a lot of burping and have a weird metallic taste in my mouth as well as a white tongue. My doctor put me on previcid and rantadine. I have been taking mirrolax for the constipation. I had bloodwork done and all was normal. I am 45 yo male with no family hx except for gallbladder disease. I have not had any pain in the area of my gallbladder. Just a discomfort that moves across my stomach when my bowels are moving. It causes me to feel very weak (almost like a vagal). I stopped working out and am maintaining my current weight.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Restricted diet cause to constipation&discomfort Detailed Answer: Hi, Constipation is a side effect of restricted diet as you are decreasing the amount of food taken. The discomfort in the abdomen you have is related to the hardening of the stool while passing the bowel. The metallic taste and white tongue could be related to: - dehydration (should increase the amount of water intake as it will also soften your stool) - fungal infection (I'd suggest to do a culture of oral swab and throat for candida to get proper treatment) - I'd suggest to discuss with a GI specialist to stop using ranitidine. To my judgment, previcid could be enough to ease your symptoms. I'd also advise to continue following the healthy lifestyle and diet changes and to schedule a colonoscopy with the GI specialist and an abdominal ultrasound. Take care! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What causes abdominal discomfort,constipation and metallic taste in mouth? 2 hours later
I am now taking prilosec 40mg once a day and 300 of rantadine. Is this a correct dosage>?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Prisolec 40mg&ranitidine 300mg-correct dosage.. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Yes, the doses of 40 mg Prisolec and 300 mg of ranitidine are correct. Hope such high doses will help alleviate your symptoms! Dr.Klerida If you are satisfied with the answer, please close this thread and rate my answer!