What causes abdominal cramping and bowel disorders in person with active lifestyle and history of colitis?

abdominal cramping . Hx. Of colitis earlier in life. Age now 77. Feels bowel doesn't, completely empty with bowel movements. Hx. Of very regular BMs.. Appetite good, no diarrhea. Active lifestyle, plays softball and golfs every week. More tired recently.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Colonoscopy. Occult blood in stool Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am happy with your active lifestyle and you should continue as such. Bowel disorders in a male after 50 years compels a formal exclusion of bowel tumors, especially colon cancer. It might be important to know if you have had any family history of cancer or not. I would strongly suggest you get a stool hemocult done (test to check blood in stool ) and a colonoscopy. This is compelling since the symptoms you describe are of recent onset. Special considerations on a change on diet, in environment and regular daily activity could as well explain the change. It is very possible that this could some rare form of IBS ( Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which can be managed through appropriate diet practices (fruits, fibres, vegetables, much water, regular meals, avoiding late meals and exercise) and drugs ( that modify bowel movements). However, any potential cause of these symptoms should only be thought of after a colonoscopy and test for occult blood have been done. Depending on the clinical evaluation results, an abdominal ultrasound and stool examination and culture could asked. I suggest you book an appointment with a gastroenterologist. while waiting, it could be of interest to try out the life style measures I suggested above ((fruits, fibres, vegetables, much water, regular meals, avoiding late meals and exercise) and drugs ( that modify bowel movements). Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel very free asking follow up questions. I will be humbled making my contributions. Dr Bain