What causes abdominal bloating with weight gain?

Hi, my name is Betsy and I am 50. I had a partial hyst at age 47. Hot flashes and night sweats have become very frequent, every 1-2 hrs at night. My GYN is giving me a compounded estrogen, Biest 0.625mg am and Progesterone 5mg pm. Since starting the progesterone two weeks ago I've developed a great deal of abdominal pressure and bloating. Would progesterone cream be better? Any suggestions? Also, I began the estrogen 4 days ago...any idea when the hot flashes/night sweats may begin to subside? Thank you, in advance, for your time.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: continue only estrogen and see Detailed Answer: Hi Betsy, Welcome to healthcare Magic! Abdominal bloating, some weight gain can be due to progesterone component of HRT. As you had partial hysterectomy done, you do not need progesterone, request your gynecologist to discontinue it and keep you on oestrogen only. Oestrogens take approximately two week time to produce stable clinical benefit. If you still have hot flushes then your clinician may consider clonidine twice a day with BP monitoring. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Follow-up: What causes abdominal bloating with weight gain? 33 minutes later
I was having insomnia and panic attacks at night which the progesterone has elleviated. Would the progesterone cream cause less bloating?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 8 hours later
Brief Answer: estrogen jelly is advisable Detailed Answer: Hi Betsy, Welcome back. The insomnia and panic attacks indicate anxiety state and are treated with different medicines. Progesterone is too risky to be continued for this. Progesterone jelly is also not advised for you. You may apply estrogen jelly instead. I hope the advise will be helpful for you