What causes a skin tag with hemorrhage?

Hi. I have a mole on my neck that I've had since childhood. My mother says she had it checked and she was told that there weren't any nerves or veins in it. But yet during and after 2 pregnancies. it enlarges and hurts to the touch. After my most recent child birth about 18 months ago it started leaking a brown fluid that smelled bad. It has stopped now But does it need to be checked out? Could that be a sign of cancer?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Skin tag with hemorrhage, need removal Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached picture. You seem to be having a huge skin tag. Now usually skin tags tend to be Skin colored or slightly reddish or pink but when hemorrhage occurs in these lesions, then they tend to appear bluish black or dark colored. This seems to have happened in your case as well. Pain and bleeding during pregnancy occurs due to hemorrhage in these lesions. Now such changes are quite common owing to the hormonal changes and the increased blood flow during pregnancy. But the problem in your case is that since you are developing recurrent episodes and the lesion is already hemorrhagic, it would be better if you get it removed. Chances of development of infections are high in such a lesion. It surely does not resemble any carcinoma, so you need not worry about it. I would advise you to see a local dermatologist and get it removed. Dr Geetika Paul