What causes a protruding belly in a child?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
what causes a protruding belly in a child
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Hi there.

Since when has the belly been protruding ?

Is there any bowel disturbance like nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea ?

Has the child any failure to gain weight an height for her age ?

If this is happening since recently, it could be because of lack of balanced diet. If there is lack of fibre there will be constipation and hence enlarged belly. Other causes can be malnutrition as seen in kwashiorkar. In similar illness, if there is problem in intestine which causes difficulty in absorbing nutrients from food, there could be thin extremities and protruding abdomen.

If she has trouble gaining weight as well, it is essential to get her bowel function evaluated by her Doctor.

If she is getting diarrhea with milk and milk products or with wheat, rye, barley and oats, kindly avoid them as there is chance of Gluten sensitivity as in Celiac sprue. Kindly avoid these items and feed her lactose free diet in such case.

Give her a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink about a litre of water a day. This will enable proper bowel function and less chance of bowel protrusion.

It would be best to get the child evaluated for the above mentioned problems as learning disorders can also be associated with above mentioned diseases.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.