What causes a hard bump that between first and second digit of the hand?

Excellent

Question
My son has a hard bump that just appeard between first and second didgit of his hand Not moveable or tender
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible causes to hard bump of fingers... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through the reports of your son carefully and understood your concerns. The hard bump that just appeared between first and second digit of your son's hand could be related to - rheumatoid arthritis, - gout I suggest to my patients with the same problems as your son to run further tests to determine the right diagnosis: - CRP - rheumatoid arthritis tests (anti-streptolysins, rheumatoid factor) - complete blood profile - ERS - measure uric acid in the blood Depending on the test results, specific treatment will be prescribed. If everything is ok, then, this hard bump might be a Heberden’s node, especially true if your son is having a history of an old injury. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What causes a hard bump that between first and second digit of the hand? 1 hour later
Thank you. My son is 32. I believe he has

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please provide more of medical data of your son.. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Can you please provide more of his medical data (if he has been suffering of arthritis or gout or any other health issue)? That can help me assist you further! Thank you! Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What causes a hard bump that between first and second digit of the hand? 8 minutes later
Yes i believe it is bouchard node. Can it stop at one bump or does it proceed to all fingers? What doctor should he see?

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow up with rheumatologist... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Both Heberden’s node and Bouchard node are bony bumps appearing to the finger joint in different locations, closest to fingernail and middle joint respectively. This bony bump should be further evaluated if it's due to old injury or a recent inflammation in order to determine the right treatment. Usually, the treatment consists in anti-inflammatory drugs and it will be gone. I suggest to see a rheumatologist for the best treatment choice for your son. Dr.Albana