What causes a decrease in appetite and nausea?

Question
For a couple of days I"ve been having the runs and going to the bathroom quite often and also experiencing a decrease in apatite. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to throw up but I don't end up doing it what could be causing these symptions?
Posted Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Infection is the most likely cause. Infection of the bowel can cause these symptoms, it is usually viral or bacterial with viral infection being more common.

In general symptoms tend to last less than 10 days with most persons going up to 5 days.

Your appetite will improve as the diarrhea resolves

Treatment consist of--(1)holding off all solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms

When this 4 hour period occurs, start with a small amount of dry food first

(2)use fluids with electrolytes to replace what you are losing eg oral rehydration drinks or dilute sport drinks
Use small amounts at a time since you feel as though you may vomit

(3)probiotics help to restore the normal bacteria in the colon and help to shorten the symptom course

(4)if there is any blood in the stool or there is no slight improvement , then you should be assessed, some causes of diarrhea require antibiotic treatment

(5)medication such as peptobismol , may help reduce symptoms

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions