What causes Trichomoniasis?

I was recently diagnosed w/Trich. I have not had sexual relations in almost two years up until a couple of weeks ago. My partner claims he hasn't had sexual relations in two years. He says he isn't the cause. If he tests negative, where did I get it?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: std Detailed Answer: Hello, Trichomoniasis is almost always a sexually transmitted infection, caused by a small parasite. Its always contracted by sexual contact. Men often infect their partners, and usually remain asymptomatic. However, its very treatable with an antibiotic. Rare cases may be transmitted by intimate contact of used towel,underwear etc. But 98% transmission is by sexual contact.
Follow-up: What causes Trichomoniasis? 39 minutes later
How long can trich lay dormant? I have taken the prescribed med 4 days ago. Do I still have trich even though the symptoms are gone?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: complete treatment Detailed Answer: The exposure time is a month. Till symptoms show up. But once you complete the course of antiobiotics for 7 days, the infection is completely treated. But re infection can occur later, so use the appropriate precautions like condoms. Even if symtoms are gone, complete the course of antibiotics.
Follow-up: What causes Trichomoniasis? 3 hours later
My doctor gave me Flagyl-4tablets to take in one dose. Since I don't have any further symptoms do I need to be rechecked?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
Brief Answer: no need Detailed Answer: There is no need to get rechecked. If you have completed the antibiotic course the infection is eradicated. Watch out for re infection.