What causes Sore breast with hard and sensitive nipple after taking Plan B?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
Hi. I tolk the plan b pill on the 12th of this month and started bleeding on the 17 of this month till the 21. Since the 20th till now my breast feels sore andAndy nipples very hard and sensitive. I had blood work done yesterday the 23 and came out negative... my period should be coming by the 5th of february at it was on the 5th for january and december. Any advice or suggestions as to why my boobs feel funny
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Following are my comments: Plan B (Levonorgestrel containing emergency contraceptive pill) is the main cause of withdrawal bleeding from 17th to 21st January. It is quite common and natural phenomena. Most women get this type of bleeding after taking the pill. Sore breast with hard and sensitive nipple is due to effect of Plan B itself as side effect. Wear tight breast support and avoid too much handling, drink more water and avoid mental stress. It is too early for blood work and the test is INVALID. You must undergo one home pregnancy test soon after missed period and repeat the test after 1 week to clear doubt. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen You can revert back to me after doing the tests directly through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What causes Sore breast with hard and sensitive nipple after taking Plan B? 3 minutes later
how long do you thing the symptoms will last?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Above symptoms may last for 5 to 7 days until effect of progesterone comes down to normal. Just follow previous advices to get effective result. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: What causes Sore breast with hard and sensitive nipple after taking Plan B? 22 minutes later
can a pregnancy occur after the plan b wAs taken? I don't kmow in I mentioned that I took the pill 10 hours after unprotected sex

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXTREMELY RARE CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for query. First or all, you did sex on SAFE PERIOD (12th January) according to your period date and additionally took Plan B which gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy when it is taken within first 24 hrs. Here, your chance of pregnancy is EXTREMELY RARE or NIL. So, you wouldn't be worried about that. Hope, I have clear your doubt. Practice safe sex in future. Regards, Dr Soumen