What causes Micro colitis?

General Surgeon
I am 68 year old woman and have micro colitis. My doctor had me take 3 peptobismol tablets for 6 months. I eventualy got better, but I have flare ups. I then take the caplets again for a while. Is there any information on this illness and what foods to eat or not to eat?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its inflammation of the colon Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is doctor Ashish Verma, a general surgeon answering to your query. Micro colitis refers to inflammation of the colon that is only visible when the colon's lining is examined under a microscope. The appearance of the inner colon lining in microscopic colitis is normal by visual inspection during colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. The diagnosis of microscopic colitis is made when a doctor, while performing colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy, takes biopsies (small samples of tissue) of the normal-appearing lining, and then examines the biopsies under a microscope. The treatment of microscopic colitis has not been standardized because there have not been adequate studies on this subject. Pepto bismol what you have been prescribed is one on the accepted treatment modality. Others include low dose steroids and immunosuppresive drugs. But you need to discuss these with your treating doctor. But, as you are already experiencing, no matter what treatment you take, this disease has a bad tendency to recur after stopping the treatment. Regarding the diet, you should avoid the foods that make your symptoms worse...and you can do this one by one by taking off a suspected food item off your diet for a week and see if it makes you better. Generally what is seen in majority of patients is that a gluten free diet helps, also avoiding caffeine, dairy products and fatty food helps. Hope i have answered all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Regards, Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: What causes Micro colitis? 13 hours later
Thank you for the information. I have ordered the book "Wheat Belly", by XXXXXXX XXXXXXX M.D. along with the cookbook. I hope this will turn out to be helpful. I already know foods that have bothered me in the past: pepper, high fat foods, vinegar etc. Thank you again for the help. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer: its a nice book Detailed Answer: Hi, Glad that i have been of help to you. If you dont have further queries then please close this discussion and rate the response. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma