What causes Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection?

Question
I had a cysotoscopy done last Novemerber in 2013, I was sent home with no meds or antibortics and This was done in a local hospital, I was also having a wart removed the same day and was under anestisa and was not awake for the entire procedure. a few months later, I started having a burning penile discharge that at 1st was thought to be a std, I had all kinds of bloodtests and cultures sent out that came back negative, many cultures and months later. A diagnosis of Klebsilella P was made. I had to under go 2 months of home i'v's to clear this up. My question is could this infection have come from the hospital that i had the procedure done at ? I was also interbated on the day I was there at the hospital. Thanks
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Based on information, I doubt it sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. A Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection would have presented with symptoms within 7-10 days after entering your system. This means, the infection most probably entered your system 7-10 days before the symptoms started, which means it would not have entered your system during your hospital stay. Klebsiella P is normally present on the skin, in the mouth, nose, ears and intestines. The organism could have be inhaled by you even from your own body sir, but as far as the information goes, I doubt it would be from the procedure or hospital stay. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you sir. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection? 9 hours later
Can it be spread through vaginal intercourse at all ?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: I do not think this is possible sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. If we are talking about Klebsiella P, then this cannot spread through vaginal intercourse. But if your partner had the infection (lung infection), then during the sexual contact the infection can be transmitted from her to you. I hope this helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection? 2 hours later
Last question, Would arthritis show up on a Pelvic ct scan or a mri of the pelvis as well ?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes they can sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Of course I shall help you with that, and you may ask me any further clarifications as well sir. Yes, a CT or MRI scan can pick up a sign called pre-erosive synovitis which is typically seen in early stages of arthritis, and can help in diagnosing arthritis even before radiography can detect the condition. And of course, these investigations can pick up signs of the condition even if it is well progressed. So the answer to your question would be a yes, sir. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection? 6 minutes later
The reason I asked, Is because I have Bilateral Scar tissue that came off of the Klebsiella infection, That feels very much like arthritis in the lower hip area, Its been diagnosed as scar tissue, ( Adhesions ) But its painful like asthritis, given its location near the hip. I have seen a hip specialist and was cleared of any hip conditions, I was just wondering about that as well hanks for all your Help, Also last october I had a CT of the Pelvic region And on the Radiologists Impressions, he mentioned Degenerative changes in the Bilateral Hips, Does That mean, Its Just age related changes or Possibly Arthritis ?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: A little premature to comment on that sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. The truth is that degerative changes are of course age-related, but they can branch out into two possibilities. 1. These changes show poor bone health due to age, but have not reported to show signs of any condition (eg. Arthritis) and may not result in any such condition even in the long run or; 2. These degenrative changes could result in conditions like arthritis in a matter of time So, it is a little premature to comment on the possibility of you having arthritis or possibly getting it in a while. I hope this is clear, and that I have succeeded to explain this in a manner best understood by you sir. Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime, I am always available to help. Best wishes sir.

Follow-up: What causes Klebsiella Pneumoniae infection? 1 hour later
I did see a Hip specialist and He noted on his xrays and also on a copy of the pelvic MRI That he did not see any arthrits on either the xrays or the disc , However the Radioolgist made the findings of degenrative changes in both hips all the same. More recently I did a pelvic MRI and They noted scar tisse in the inguinal area, Right side was greater then the left. I am trying to source the cause of the pain as to where its coming from, I am just totally confused right now

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Degenerative changes could be the cause sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Well, from the information provided it seems as though you do not have arthritis at all, and the degenerative changes are purely age-related. As for the scar tissue, could you provide me with more information on the location, type, appearance, noted medical description (by your doctor), etc; if you need help with my opinion as well sir. The cause of pain could be the degenerative changes as well, as these changes make the skeletal tissue weak, and pain results from the pressure applied on them by the body. I would recommend calcium and vitamin D supplements. I hope this information helps you. Please write back to me for any further assistance sir. Take care.