What causes Hepatitis B and can it relapse?

I was told that I had hep b and that my body fought it off. I never knew I had it because I never had and signs until a blood test. I don't even know how I got it I never had a blood to blood transfer unless a client had an open sore and my self as well ( I am a hair stylist). Will I get it back? it's been a year since I found out I have not seen the proper Dr. for this yet. I am know in the process of taking care of several health needs, what kind of Dr. do I need to see for this condition. Ty XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Information about hepatitis B Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query First and foremost, hepatitis B is not exactly a sexually transmitted diseases. The most possible cause is blood transfusion or an infected needle, in your case, possibly an infected blade or scissors. As for hepatitis B infection, the infection seems to be self contained in your body. You see what happens sometimes is that you get a mild infection but the body is immune enough to suppress the full infection. However, Hepatitis B does not usually really wash out or clear off the body. It usually becomes a chronic infection and lasts a long time. There are some cases of resurfacing of infection know, but this is usually a rare eventuality. However if you are really considered, one might consider antiviral therapy for Hepatitis B. However I would like to tell you that the efficacy of the treatment is approximately 50%. In simple words, there is only a 50% chance that you will get fully cured on treatment. If you are still interested in the treatment, you need to meet a hepatologist. Meanwhile get the following tests, if not already done0 HBsAg, Anti HBs, Anti HBc. Get your liver function tests checked regularly and periodically. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked and further queries so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)
Follow-up: What causes Hepatitis B and can it relapse? 2 days later
Thank you for getting back to me. I am seeing a doctor within the week and my reports have been sent over. Due to the what is happening with all insurances I have had to change all doctors. I will get her advise on a Dr. who handles this. I will get answers from you and feel better before seeing the right Dr., I have not seen a doctor for a year and a half for this. I do feel fine I believe I do not have any symptoms as of yet. So I am taking this as the Hep B is still in my body just staying dorment and could have possible liver problems know and in the future?? Can I pass this to my family and co-workers? I am very carefull since I found out I do not share any of my food or drink. I have come across family members who have had cuts and scrapes I will not touch them unless I have a bandage or cloth. Hope I did the right thing. I have meet someone who I care for a lot we have had intercourse with a condom and also the condom has come off during intercourse not to either of our knowledge until love making was over. Can I harm him?? I did not tell him because when they told me my body fought it off I was under the impression it was gone. Except for my liver. I also have to disclose that one of the times the condom came off he started my period so there was blood to blood contact. He is very much, well i'm going to say he is big, long as well as round. He did tell me that he has a hard time with condoms due too his size. If I have put in harms way I need to know as well as he does. He will hate me, however I can't do this to him or anybody. And I am angry this happened to me not even knowing what I did or didn't do. I take care of myself and still having a hard time with this. I don't want to hurt anybody's health I know how this feels, someone gave this to me and don't know who or why.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Accept the infection... Detailed Answer: Hello again XXXXXXX First and foremost I am glad that you are taking care that the infection does not spread. That is very considerate of you. And I would also like to thank you for having confidence in me. What I felt from your response was that right now you are more worried about transmission to others. Let me tell you. Hepatitis B does not spread by the normal touching and shaking hands. It is not that kind of a disease. As I said, the chances of spread are mostly by blood transfusion, blood to blood contact and sexual intercourse. Having said that, you need to understand that the amount of virus in your body needs to be high for transmission to occur. An HBV RNA PCR (quantitative) can be done to make sure that the levels are low and transmission does not happen. I am sure the doctor you are meeting will do so. As for drinking and sharing, it is OK, and you need not worry about it. Coming to the sexual intercourse part, I don't think you need to worry, The HBV DNA PCR test holds true to that too. So I think you should wait for the test. Relax, the very fact that you think about this makes sure that you are not going to transmit. Try to make yourself accept the infection, and you will find that you can love normally. IT IS NO BIG DEAL. As for complications, a resurgence of infection can occur if at some stage your immunity does get low. An long standing complication of liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma is a possibility but the chances are low. It is more common in other infections associated like HCV, HDV. However I recollect from your last query that those are negative. So, if I were you, I wont worry much. Hope this has been helpful. Would be happy to help with any other query as well Dr Saumya Mittal, MD