What causes Colitis and Crohn's disease

I was diagnosed for fistula. Had operation for that.THe fistula got healed quite quickly in 2 mnths. i had colitis also affecting almost 12 cms of large intestine . Had two views from the doctors one suggesting its a crohns disease second doctor said if it was chrons it would have affected the small intestine also where as my husbands i small intestine is fine after the result shown in ct scan. My husband is kept on sulpha salizine since last two months he has intermittent problems of streching in belly,little bit swelling in lips nd cheeks which go away in couple of hrs,and one eye gets red. But there is no Diahorrea and abdominal pain ,weight loss ,weight gain also .So what it could be is it just colitis or something else.pls suggest
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Symptoms are more favor of crohn's. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to us. I went through your query and understood your concern. Colitis means inflammation of colon, it has many different causes, including: 1.Infections, including those caused by a virus, parasite, and food poisoning due to bacteria 2.Inflammatory disorders (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease) 3.Lack of blood flow (ischemic colitis) 4.Past radiation to the large bowel Crohn's in a form of colitis and it has associated systemic features affecting eyes and joints. Redness in eye and fistula are common in crohn's. So that's why your doctor has made a conclusion of crohn's. Symptoms may appear cyclically, Symptom free time in between. I feel your husbands symptoms are more favor of crohn's. Even with a full battery of tests, it may not be possible to diagnose Crohn's with complete certainty; a colonoscopy is approximately 70% effective in diagnosing the disease, Hope this information helpful to you, Feel free to ask further query. Regards