What cause rednenss in eye along with cold and what is the treatment?

Hi! I have had a little redness in the left side of my right eyeball, and this was first noticed by my friend last Wednesday. I have sneezing a bit over the past few days due to the weather here in Florida. The light redness was still there when I saw it today. There is no irritation or pain at all. I leave for my home in India this Thursday. Also, when I looked into my eye, I could see a bunch of the blood vessels in the region where it is red. Do you suggest any eye drops before I leave for home on Thrusday?
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It seems like simple hyperemia or redness. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic I am Dr. Dadapeer an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having redness of eyes along with symptoms of cold like sneezing. Redness of the eyes is commonly seen associated with cold and called as hyperemia. However this has to be differentiated from conjunctivitis which is associated with respiratory tract infection. Conjunctivitis will have symptoms of discharge and watering along with redness. Since you does not seem have these symptoms no nerd to worry. I will treat hyperemia of conjunctiva associated with cold and other respiratory tract infection by using broad spectrum antibiotic eye drop like ciprofloxacin and decongestant eye drop containing naphazoline. If possible if you can send me a photograph of the affected eye I can advice you more accurately. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow-up: What cause rednenss in eye along with cold and what is the treatment? 10 minutes later
I am on my way to get the eye drops you suggested. Also attached is what my eye looks. As I speak, there is some really minor irritation at times.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be hyperemia or inflammation of conjunctiva Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the follow up query. I went through the photo which you have attached and it seems like redness of conjunctiva limited to medial side. It can be simple redness or hyperemia of conjunctiva as I mentioned or it can be inflammation of conjunctiva I would treat this condition in my patients at my clinic by broad spectrum antibiotic eye drops like ciprofloxacin and if it won't respond quickly I will consider using antiinflammatory eye drop like ketorolac eye drops. Do consult your doctor for prescription of eye drops. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Thank you
Follow-up: What cause rednenss in eye along with cold and what is the treatment? 17 minutes later
Thank you! Since I have only a few more days since I leave for my home, I got myself a redness relieving eye drop to b on the safe side. If anything, I shall be treating the condition back home. Is it a good enough situation for the same?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can use those eye drops. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. The redness relieving eye drops will do the job, hence no need to worry as the condition looks simple without any infection. Thank you
Follow-up: What cause rednenss in eye along with cold and what is the treatment? 43 minutes later
Thank you for your assurance and help! After applying the drops, my eye looks much better, as the picture may suggest. There is still some light redness left, which I hope is trivial.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: The eye seems fine no need to worry Detailed Answer: Hello I saw the follow up photo it is fine no need to worry. However you need to continue the eye drops 3 to 4 times a day for 3 to 4 days. If the redness comes back do consult eye doctor. If you have any further questions I will be happy to answer. If you do not have any further questions please close the query and rate the query. Thank you