What cause high BP with low back pain and loss of bladder function?

Yes, my blood pressure is very high - avg 165/98 in the last week. I have had low back pain for 20 years. Left leg has collapsed on 2-3 different occasions, have not been able to sleep at night for 3-4 weeks with recurring left leg pain at night. I have had restless leg and ankle/calf for 2 years. Even while sitting, my feet hurt continually. I have loss of bladder function that has been going on for 2 years. I'm very concerned that this could be Stage 3 Renal Failure.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 4 hours later
Brief Answer: get kidney function test done Detailed Answer: Dear, You have suddenly gone to the extreme of things, You should think positively and get normal physiological disturbances in the body corrected High blood pressure doesn't necessarily mean renal problem but is one of the essential causes of secondary hypertension. So it is important to rule out the kidney problem by doing the kidney function tests. Yes kidney problem is also associated with hypocalcaemia leading to bone softening and bony pains giving rise to low back ache. if your kidney functions are Ok then cause of blood pressure is idiopathic which needs to be corrected. At present you should not think of any stage of Renal failure. Symptomatic management at the hands of your primary physician will help you through. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: What cause high BP with low back pain and loss of bladder function? 10 hours later
I have already been diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion 20 years ago. My doc says the adrenals have bottomed out now. I told my Endocrinologist and he says it probably isn't but this runs in my family. Family history on both sides is Diabetes with extremity amputations, Hypothyroidism, High Blood Pressure, Adrenal Failure, Heart Disease, Breast Cancer. In Dec my doc put me on 25 mg DHEA and all left ankle, left calf, left pelvic pain subsided completely. The left leg no longer collapsed. I can get up from a chair and walk without the severe pain I had in both feet. No more left ankle/calf pain throbbing throughout the night. All sleep problems resolved. I would go to bed at 10:30 and not be able to get to sleep until 3:00 am. In XXXXXXX I put on 20 lbs almost overnight and I did not know why. Then he tried cortisol. With the cortisol, I lost 10 lbs in 2 days due to edema in my legs, and the bladder problem resolved in 2 days. But there is a foul smell to my urine and low back pain. So I'm thinking there may still be a UTI and resulting kidney problem. If so, it has been going on for 2 years now all while the bladder was functioning poorly (1/4 cup at a time has been all I can urinate) yet I drink 2-3 liters a day. So output doesn't equal input and there is a problem. It could be a kidney problem as my doctor suspects or bladder cancer so not sure if I should see an oncologist or nephrologist. Tired of getting the run around when I already have the labs proving the kidney is the problem. If adrenals are malfunctioning, how likely is it that the kidneys are malfunctioning especially in light of right flank pain. I have been to 8 doctors already and no one but my doctor of 17 years can find the problem. They just have see another doctor so I stopped going to doctors and tried an accupuncturist. Without any tests whatsoever, within 2 month, she concluded kidney and spleen problems and told me to see a kidney specialist. However, the Endo doctor has not referred me. Instead he has done test after test with no idea of what the problem is. Without his referral, the Nephrologist says he cannot see me. I'm way ahead of the ball - not behind it as you would suggest. I have been 95% most of the time. My doctor just asks me what I think it is, and we go from there. He trusts my instincts that much. I have always been proactive and educated. The human body is similar to a car - any intelligent mechanically-inclined individual can figure it out. Obviously I am already ahead of the ball again. I don't think this website can help me. I will work with the Endocrinologist to see if I can convince him of a referral to the Nephrologist. That's probably the quickest way to resolve the problem.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertension Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Thanks for reverting with details. Your initial concern was thought of renal faliure. you have now clarified that you have hypoadrenalism. So be rest assured that you do not have kidney failure but problems due to hypoadrenalism due to which there is water retention in the have to adjust the replacement therapy properly along with cortisol and potassium sparing diuretic therapy under the advice of your doctor not necessarily an endocrinologist but a competent physician, your edema will subside and your urine flow will increase. If not properly taken care of may lead to renal faliure but at this time you are far away from it. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku