What cause headaches after missing a meal?

Ayurveda Specialist
I have frequently have headaches whenever miss my meal or go out of say shopping in the markets. Please suggest some medicine for the same.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need expanded information Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern(S) and I wish to Answer the query in two separate ways, do let me know which one is having close relation with the symptoms. A. Skipping or missing meals may lead to i. Hypoglycemia [low blood sugar] which can cause an increase in blood pressure and can narrow your arteries thus resulting in headaches [please check with blood sugar level] ii. Dehydration — Not drinking enough fluids i.e. lack of hydration can cause the constriction of the meninges, and because the meninges have pain receptors, this causes headaches. iii. Caffeine: going off from caffeine can cause the arteries to dilate and can create an excessive blood flow to the head, with resulting headaches. PS . drink lots of water, at least 8-10 glasses per day,which improves urine output, and re hydrates the skin (but if exposure to heat is more) add little of black pepper, lemon and salt to it or simply have ORS sachets or “Shadangpaniya” (available at all Ayurveda Stores) with you. . eat smaller meals [4 to 6 times a day] and moderate intake of caffeine. B. UNDER HYDRATION 1. any exposure to Heat/humidity, or history of under hydration i.e. giving/taking only 1-2 glasses of water per day, dehydration is bound to happen,along with other channels of water loss i.e. sweat,breath,urine and stool. 2.Avoid coffee,tea,salt,junk/processed food and HIGH protein rich diet 3..Cilantron juice (Coriander/Dhaniya) either purchased or made in home is an ideal drink. 4. Ashwagandharishta and Balarishta both 5ml-5ml (1tsf each) with equal amount of water after meals (after breakfast, and dinner) 5. Ushirasav 10ml (2tsf) after meals with equal amount of water (after lunch) PS. It is recommended that as a routine one must test the following signs [so kindly have a health checkup, at your nearest Hospital or Clinic] for the following i. Blood Pressure for Hypertension. ii. Sinus Tenderness over maxillary & frontal sinuses, and look for any focus of infection in teeth, tonsils & ears. iii. tenderness on nape of neck or pain on neck movements. iv. if associated fever, check with neck stiffness. v. Check eyesight for any refractive error and blood sugar for low glucose in blood. PS If there is any neurological sign found by General Physician he may refer you for Neurologist opinion, or for cognitive behavioral therapy and medication [sometimes headaches can be a physical symptom of anxiety caused because of public places] Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika Clinic