What cases Premature ventricular contractions?

Hello Dr I am a 50 yr old male who has anxiety from time to time I have had a bad cold for about 3 weeks was on amoxiliin and have since had spasms in my left side went to hospital had EKG and it showed that I had PVCS the Dr said he was not too concerned and I should follow up with family DR who orderd 24hr heart moniter....I do get panicky when the PVCS occur as a result my BP goes up ..I have them now at night and Iwake up and have trouble getting back to sleep they last for about 2 hrs will they go away or is it an indication of something more serious and what can I do about it thank you sir for your time.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 28 hours later
Brief Answer: You need not be very worried... Detailed Answer: Hi, Premature ventricular contractions is one of the common arrhythmias. It can occur even in healthy individuals. The cause is generally benign ones and rarely do they indicate serious concerns. I would refer you to a cardiologist after holter monitoring. Your cardiologist will order for complete hemogram, echocardiogram, thyroid check as well as metabolic check to rule out sinister conditions. Based on my experience, PVC is usually a recurring condition unless your cardiologist finds a treatable cause. That being said, it hardly causes serious health implications. I would suggest you to discuss about these aspects after Holter monitoring. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What cases Premature ventricular contractions? 16 hours later
Thank you for the help ....I was wondering sometimes when I take myBP it is 135/90 then a few mins later it may be 120/75 it seems to fluctuate alot is that normal. Should I be concerned if it reads 135/92 then a few mins later 137/78?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: I am not concerned with minor fluctuations... Detailed Answer: Hi, Blood pressure fluctuation is normal and known phenomena. Various physical, stress and mental factors strongly affect blood pressure numbers. Further the automated blood pressure monitoring number doesn't always show same reading; minor fluctuations are usually due to mechanical error. I wouldn't be concerned if your blood pressure numbers are always under normal limits. Too high blood pressure or too low blood pressure need to be addressed by your treating doctor. Hope this helps. Please ask for clarifications before closing the discussion. Regards